Propolis

bees, honey and other sticky subjects

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Did bees sense Chernobyl?

Here's an interesting anecdote. Who knows if it's true:

A new book about the Chernobyl nuclear disaster says that although the authorities kept quiet in the days after the disaster, bees knew.

“The radio wasn't saying anything, and the papers weren't either, but the bees knew. They didn't come out for two days, not a single one,” claimed someone interviewed by Svetlana Alexievich in her book Voices from Chernobyl.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

My father and I traveled to Western Europe on 6 May 1986, less than two weeks after Chernobyl. In Holland, I heard reports of bees in Germany refusing to exit their hives prior to the explosion and fire. I did not see it but I have never doubted it occurred.

9:53 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home